Friday, January 6, 2012

Top Five Performances of 2011 (#5)

So I already know that as you're reading that title you're thinking "Top five? Shouldn't that be top ten?" Unless of course you know me personally in which case you're likely thinking "Oh gawd, not another top five list..." you're welcome dear readers for not regularly inflicting these on you... Either way, I am a fan of the top five list over the top ten because I find it more challenging. And more reflective of actual 'best of's. And just better. So yeah.

I should perhaps start off by mentioning that this is not the top five CANADIAN bands of 2011, even though it pretty much looks that way... What can I say, I love Canadian music! Can I help it if we have awesome bands up here? No. No I cannot help that. I can, however, revel in the fact and enjoy every minute of music listening joy. Also I am not a "Top Five Albums" kind of gal- sure all of these bands released albums in 2011, and sure I absolutely love all of them (and may or may not have done several weeks of chain-listening), but it is too difficult for me to separate a band's on-album work from their live performances. Plus live performances are just awesome. Seriously. So without further ado:

5

Said the Whale - New Brighton - The Live Lounge, Ottawa, ON, September 14, 2011 

One of the many bands my sister introduced be to this year who I have since fallen totally in love with- their combination of clever-lyric riddled short songs, cheery attitudes, and wonderful music/voices make listening to their music on headphones or in the car a joy and even better in person. The venue (the live lounge in Ottawa's Bytown Market) made it even better, with some of the best pre-show music I have heard in a long time (perhaps ever actually! Ele will back me up on that) the perfect size (big enough but not too big) a great crowd (enthusiastic, but devoted enough to manage complete silence during the beautifully performed Curse of the Currents), good sound and even a free cd at the door!


As with all good concerts, it has to be at least partially described by saying (cheesy at it always sounds) the vibe was great- everyone was excited to be there, especially the band. Impromptu sing-alongs, acoustic jamming, and cheerful banter abounded. They played all their hits (not difficult for a band with only two full length albums and only maybe three songs clocking in at over two minutes, but still appreciated!) and a slew of new ones which were well received, albeit skeptically at first.

Its always nice to be at a show where you really get the feeling that no one in the room would wish to be anywhere else. This was that show. Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment