Thursday, April 12, 2012

Whales and Horses and Chains

Three-band shows can be odd.

You've got the openers, then you've got the middle band, then you've got the headliners- the first band and the last band stick out, but the middle band is just... well, the middle band. At least at a festival there are lots of middle bands, so they can all be middle bands together, but at a three-band show there's only one middle band. And its weird.

Case in Point:
Said the Whale (headliners), Boxer the Horse (openers) and Chains of Love (the middle band), April 11 2012.

So my sister had seen this tour two days earlier in Montreal, and had texted me during Boxer the Horse to say "You HAVE to make sure you get there for the openers- Boxer the Horse is really good!" Since our musical tastes overlap almost entirely, I took her at her word and got there just after doors. And she wasn't wrong- Boxer the Horse are adooooorable. They're geeky and bouncy and early Beatles meets 90s high-school; not too boppy but just boppy enough. Though it took them a few songs to get really into it, by the third or fourth one in the crowd was well warmed up, dancing and nodding in time with the music.  And just when I was starting to think the 90s influence was just in my head, they played a cover of the 'Better than Ezra' song from Empire Records. I'm not sure if they just look a lot younger than they are, or if they are just youngins who love 90s teen flicks, but if I wasn't already hooked, that certainly would have convinced me. They fit perfectly as an opener to Said the Whale and you could really tell why that were on the bill.

Next up was Chains of Love, a slightly ska-influenced (or maybe just because the singer's voice reminded me of early Gwen Steffani?) kind of rock-ish gal band complete with tambourine and castinettes playing lead singer. Actually they totally reminded me of Josie and the Pussycats (and yes I mean the band from the vastly underrated early 2000s movie of the same name. What? This whole show reminded me of that era!), except less psudo-punk... OK, to be fair here, I think I should pause and mention something; I am not a fan of girl singers. There is the odd exception to this rule -mostly super-London-y gals like Kate Nash, Lily Allen and Eliza Dolittle, with a bit of weirdness (a la Joanna Newsom) and some francaphones (Coeur de Pirate, Marie-Pierre Arthur) thrown in for good measure- but on the whole, they just don't do it for me. Maybe its the tone of their voices (NB all the above singers are altos...), or some left over, misguided teenage-sentiment "Girl bands are wussy" (lame and un-true, but alas the opinion of many high school aged punks/rockers...), I don't know... I just know I am not a fan.

This makes it kind of difficult to fairly review bands with female vocalists. I am aware of this stumbling block, and I try to compensate for it, but I'm not really sure how... I was quite impressed at the use of tambourine (now I know that sounds like a slight, but it is mean in earnest- very rarely do you hear tambourine used as its own instrument, not just backup, and I enjoyed that it seemed to be a pretty integral part of their sound). And the singer was pretty enthusiastic and used her long hair as long hair should be used (flipping it, but not excessively)... but she is honestly the only one I remember anything about, and there just weren't any songs that caught my fancy.

On the completely opposite end of the spectrum: Said the Whale.

Now this wasn't the best STW show I've ever been to (that distinction would go to their performance last year at The Live Lounge...) but it was mostly because the levels were just way too high. It was loud. And I mean LOUD. This is coming from the person who drives around with music so blaring that people two lanes over on the highway give me dirty looks. I like loud music. I LOVE loud music. But this concert was Too Loud.

Having said that, Said the Whale were in fine form, playing not only new material, but numerous songs from their original EP (Howe Sounds) and first LP (Islands Disappear- my favourite of their albums). Early-set monitors issues left Tyler and Ben unable to hear themselves, but also led to an amazing sing-along version of Emerald Lake AB, which emphasized the absolute dedication of the audience. This was an all ages (well 16+) show and it was clear this was the first real concert for many of the excited attendees. They may not have been jumping and dancing as much as some older crowds, and they may have been a little overly-squealy (As Tyler Bancroft said from onstage "I think I am going to wake up tomorrow morning with high pitched screams ringing in my ears... seriously you are going to lose the ability to sound like that as you get older!"). But I have to say; I have heard audiences sing louder, I have heard audiences sing more enthusiastically, but never before have I heard an audience sing along with Every Single Song. Seriously. Every word of every song. It was amazing.

"The Reason" was a real stand-out, with Ben pleading with the audience (as a stand-in for the intended subject of the song), and "Oh Alexandra" spawned a spontaneous whole-crowd hands-up-swaying (a la lighters, except with cellphones instead), while the ever-danceable "The Light is You" got everyone moving (man I love that song...). Pulling out the ukulele, they signed off with an adorable rendition of "Goodnight Moon" and left the stage to raucous applause.

This was a show of competing elements, pulling my reactions in opposite directions. Boxer the Horse and Said the Whale had great performances, though the sound left something to be desired. Chains of Love combined a bunch of nostalgic 90s elements, but failed to pull it all together. The audience was dedicated, but a overly high-pitched and under-dancing... Overall the show was alright, but I would certainly recommend catching Said the Whale or Boxer the Horse next time they're in town...






No comments:

Post a Comment